Inspections are key to having a healthy rental property. All Los Angeles property management companies should do inspections on a regular basis. Inspections reduces liability, keeps the tenants in check and makes sure the property doesn’t have any underlying issues.
Does your Los Angeles property management company do routine inspections?
How often does your Los Angeles property management company inspect your property? Once a year? Once every six months? Four times a year? Is your Los Angeles property management team leader the one performing the inspections?
You DO NOT want your Los Angeles property management company inspecting your units!
That’s a pretty bold statement above. Sounds counter intuitive, right? It’s not, though. First, we need to ask what is the reason for your Los Angeles property management company to inspect?
- Your Los Angeles property management company inspects to look for hazards or any issues with the house.
- Your Los Angeles property management company inspects to reduce liability. Inspections reduce liability in this way: Let’s say a tenant “slips and falls and breaks their neck.” If you have a record of inspections in court showing that each inspection found NO hazards, this frivolous suit of “I broke my neck” is going to be harder to win.
- Your Los Angeles property management company inspects to ensure the tenants aren’t breaking any rules and taking care of the place. Example: no dogs, no additional tenants, they’re taking care of items inside the house, etc.
The above items may sound like you DO want your Los Angeles property management company to inspect, but trust me, you DON’T.
- I’ve never heard of a Los Angeles property management company who is a licensed inspector or contractor. Yes, your property management company will be able to see basic hazards or issues, but most likely they aren’t experienced enough to assess a not so common hazard or problem at your house. That is why you want a licensed contractor or inspector to inspect your rental property, NOT your property manager!
- If you ever end up in court in a frivolous law suit, an inspection report from an un-biased, licensed third party will hold more weight than an inspection from your Los Angeles property management company. Why? Because the manager is unlicensed and is biased towards the owners of the property. Obviously the manager will side with the owners in court. Another reason you DO NOT want your management company to inspect for reducing liability. You want a licensed contractor or inspector who is un-biased!
- A licensed general contractor or inspector will be able to tell if a tenant is breaking the rules better than a Los Angeles property management company. They inspect hundreds of houses, take ample photos and can easily detect traces of rule breaking. Another reason you do not want your Los Angeles property management company inspecting!
For the latest in Los Angeles real estate and Los Angeles property management news, trends and tools, make sure to stay connected with our blog at: http://tgnpropertymanagement.com/blog/